Advertisement


| 1 min read | by Lonnie Huhman, lhuhman@thesuntimesnews.com |

A fire destroyed a barn in Scio Township on November 26 and saw the loss of six recently born calves.

Scio Township Fire Chief Doug Armstrong said the department was called to the scene, at a home on Joy Road, just west of Zeeb Road, that Tuesday day night at 9:10 p.m. and upon arrival found the barn fully involved with flames and smoke.

Armstrong said the homeowner called the fire in after smelling smoke. He said the homeowners reported they had gone into the house after feeding the calves, which were born three weeks earlier. The homeowners told the Scio Township Fire Department that after being inside their home for 15-20 minutes they smelled smoke and looked outside to see the barn on fire.

Advertisement

“Unfortunately none of the calves survived,” Armstrong said.

He said the fire is under investigation. The homeowners told the fire department that heat lamps were being used inside the barn to keep the calves warm. Armstrong said the winds that night were strong and led to the fire spreading quickly.

The barn was a total loss, but firefighters were able to stop it from spreading to the nearby home. There were no serious injuries reported by the firefighters.

Scio was helped by the fire departments from Dexter, Chelsea, Ann Arbor City, Ann Arbor Township and Pittsfield Township. Armstrong said the help was needed because they had to bring additional water onto the scene through tanker trucks.

“We’re grateful that no one was injured,” Armstrong said of the firefighters and homeowners.

Advertisement