The CHS girls swim and dive team had their first chance to measure up against the competition at the 2018 Howard Comstock Waverly Relays on August 22 at Waverly High School. The 12 teams in the meet are mostly Lansing-area teams, with Chelsea joining the fray. Defending champs Grand Ledge again narrowly won the meet with 233 points. The Bulldogs finished second overall with 223 points.
The girls exceeded the high expectations placed on them by the coaching staff, swimming faster than expected in almost every relay. The exclamation point came in the last race of the evening, when the team of Bella Turner, Alexis Nelson, Olivia Prodin, and Olivia Olk swam the 200-freestyle relay in a final time of 1:40.73 to take down the Waverly pool record by nearly a second. The record had been held by Okemos since 2010 (1:41.68).
Following the fantastic swim, head coach Dave Jolly remarked, “What an amazing swim by those four girls. Typically, when you see records fall, it is by a couple tenths of a second maybe, not by nearly a full second. This is a very talented team this year, and we have been talking about that since the pre-season meeting in May. I think tonight they realized what we have been talking about for months now. This is their year, and they have to go out and take what’s in front of them.” The girls 200 freestyle relay team now joins the CHS boys’ team from 2016 that broke the boys pool record, for an all-Chelsea line on the record board.
Other results from the meet:
* 200 Medley Relay (Hannah Harmes, Abby Robbins, Olivia Ousley, Kauri Fields); 2:05.83; 4th place
* 4×100 Individual Medley Relay (Olk, Turner, Morgan DeYoe, Robbins); 4:25.36; 1st place
* 400 Freestyle Relay (Nelson, Prodin, Olk, Turner); 3:44.09; 1st place
* Diving Relay (Melina Almhiemid, Angelia Daman); points; 2nd place
* 200 Butterfly Relay (Katie Leissner, Fields, Ousley, Ella Girard); 2:05.06; 5th place
* 500 Crescendo Relay (Rory Krause, Prodin, Nelson, Leissner); 5:06.89; 2nd place
* 200 Backstroke Relay (Fields, Krause, Harmes, Girard); 2:09.35; 4th place
* 200 Breaststroke Relay (Robbins, Harmes, DeYoe, Leissner); 2:27.10; 3rd place