By: Seth Kinker,

The Dexter Dreadnaught Girls Lacrosse team (0-2) fell to Dearborn Divine Child on Apr. 2 in their second game of the season, 9-7. 

After playing their first game with players gone due to spring break, the Dreadnaughts returned some experience on Tuesday that almost helped them complete a second-half comeback. 

In the first half, neither team could pull away. Divine Child scored the opening goal in the first minute of play before Dreadnaught senior Sierra Holmes, one of the players not at the season opener, scored after being fouled to tie it at one with 20:00 left. 

“Sierra brings the experience,” said Dreadnaught head coach Taylor Haverty. “She’s a captain and is the voice of the field. It took her three years to find that confidence and now she’s not afraid to go to goal.”

Divine Child would score the next two goals as Divine Child had continued possession in the Dreadnaught defensive third early on. 

With 10:17 remaining in the first half Divine Child had a goal waved off, one of two in the game, and had a second player pick up a penalty. 

For the remainder of the half, the Dreadnaughts began to find success, finally able to string some passes together that led to goal scoring chances.  

With 7:41 in the first half Holmes scored her second goal of the game after a series of quick passes found her alone back post to make it 3-2. Divine Child answered with a goal to make it 4-2 before Dreadnaught junior Claire Vaughn took it right up the middle with 4:25 left after being fouled to make it 4-3.

Vaughn led the team with three goals.

Dreadnaught junior Maggie Jones tied it at four after being fouled with 3:15 left and the Dreadnaughts took a 5-4 lead into halftime with ten seconds left. 

A long forward pass found Jones right in front of the Divine Child crease. She was fouled and made the ensuing shot, finishing with two goals. 


“Maggie, she brings that competitive edge,” said Haverty on the junior who is in her second year of playing lacrosse. “She picks everyone up, she makes plays in the middle of the field. I think she can make big plays happen because she has the field sight. She plays goalie in field hockey; she has the vision of the field.”

Divine Child took control of the game coming out of the half, scoring three in a row to take a 7-5 lead less than five minutes into the last half. 

“Communication needs to improve but the slides need to be there too, that’s part of the communication,” said Haverty on the Dreadnaught defense. “The reason people are open is that the first slide is happening and the second and third slides are falling short.” 

The main reason is a lack of experience and Haverty is encouraged with the progress thus far. 

“The communication breakdown is resulting in a lack of slide,” said Haverty. “I don’t think they’re losing their mark in a man to man situation. When the ball starts moving, they do a great job blocking who’s driving, but then the third option gets left open.”

Vaughn scored to make it 7-6 before Divine Child added two more goals. The beginning of each half mirrored each other, Divine Child rode hard after every shot and controlled the tempo offensively. 

Vaugh would score her final goal of the evening with 12:30 to make it 9-7 in favor of Divine Child. 

Neither team could score down the stretch as the Dreadnaught defense tightened up over the last 14:55 of the game, not allowing a goal with the score ending 9-7 in favor of Divine Child. 

Haverty attributed the second half defensive success to the defense getting the second and third slides and shutting down the dominant hand of the Divine Child attackers. 

The Dreadnaughts host Davison on Apr. 4.