By: Seth Kinker, 

The Dexter Dreadnaught boys soccer team (4-0-4) defeated the Ann Arbor Huron River Rats in an SEC crossover match up by a final score of 5-1.

Dread goals were scored by junior forward Haydon Newton (2), senior Braden Lint (2), and senior Niska Richards (1).

A close contest at the break, the Dreadnaughts made adjustments that led to them pulling away in the second half.


The Dreads had a chance within the first five minutes after the River Rats conceded a free kick. Taken by junior midfielder Nick Williamson, he found senior midfielder Noah Lewis cutting towards the front of the goal before the River Rat goalkeeper made a diving save.

The River Rats scored first in the 9’ off of an unassisted goal from River Rat senior Amari Bowman He was inside the box and scored by slotting a ball on the ground near post to give the River Rats the 1-0 lead.

A poor clearance by the River Rats led to the Dreads first goal, a header in the box from Lewis found the feet of Newton who kept the ball on the ground to tie the score with 27:25 in the first half.

The River Rats had good possession in the first half, something the Dreads won as the game went on but the River Rats had many good chances in the first half that were stymied by Dread sophomore goalkeeper Wylie Smith.

In the first half the River Rats had better possession but the Dreads had more quality chances on goal. With 1:06 in the first half the Dreads scored on a counter attack to take their first lead when freshman midfielder Ben Pritchard found Richards in the box to give the Dreads the 2-1 lead.

“The first half, we struggled,” said Dread head coach Drew Ducker. “They were in a 3-5-2, their five across the midfield gave us some trouble, switching the point of attack, and trying to figure out who’s marking who.”

Near the end of the first half and at halftime, the Dreads made the changes that led to a decisive second half.

The Dreads dropped two holding midfielders in to deal with the extra attackers, the wingers were told to drop and act as outside midfielders to help prevent service over the top.

“Once we did that I thought defensively we were much more solid winning the ball,” said Ducker.

It took them about halfway through the second half to score their next goal but the Dreads built up to that goal by winning the possession battle coming back after halftime.

The first goal came with 22:22 left, Williamson placed a ball into the corner and senior Evan Rushbrook crossed the ball to a wide-open Newton who dinged the post with the ball before it crossed the goal line.

About ten minutes later, junior midfielder Daryl Bell beat his man on the sideline to find a sliding Lint in the box for Lint’s first goal to make it 4-1.

Lint completed the scoring with a steal from a River Rat defender before firing it home for the 5-1 lead with 8:46 left.

“Our possession and counter-attack in the second half, it was great,” said Ducker. “We finished some nice chances and swung the game into our favor in the second half. When they adjusted, we adjusted again. It was nice to get some goals on the scoreboard.”

Ducker noted it was great to see Newton, a player who will be relied on this season to score for the Dreads, score a brace. Ducker said the coaches had talked to Newton before the game about picking his moments, playing simple, and finishing his chances.

“It was great to see him get a couple of goals tonight,” said Ducker.

The Dreads host Ypsilanti (9/5) and Mason (9/6) this week.

Photos by Lynne Beauchamp