City of Dexter Planning Commission Virtual Public Hearings and Meeting
There are three public hearings:
- AP2020.21-14 Text Amendment to the Zoning Ordinance – Self-Storage – Public hearing to consider proposed text amendments to the City of Dexter Zoning Ordinance to establish self-storage facilities as a special land use in the I-1 District subject to the recommended conditions, and to establish off street parking requirements. Discussion and possible action following public hearing.
- On April 5, 2021 the Planning Commission is scheduled to conduct a public hearing for the purpose of considering text amendments to the City of Dexter Zoning Ordinance, which would establish self storage facilities as a special land use in the I-1 District subject to the recommended conditions, and to establish off-street parking requirements. The proposed text amendments were triggered by the Planning Commission’s determination that self-storage facilities are compatible within the I-1 Limited Industrial Zoning District as a special land use, subject to conditions recommended by staff, and the City’s planning (CWA) and engineering (OHM) consultants, during its February 1, 2021 regular meeting.
- AP2020.21-15 Special Land Use Review of a Self-Storage Facility - Public hearing to consider a special land use application, submitted by Derek Warren, for a self-storage facility, located at 7850 Second Street. Discussion and possible action following public hearing.
- The Planning Commission is scheduled to conduct a public hearing on April 5, 2021. The purpose of the public hearing is to consider a special land use application, submitted by Derek Warren. Mr. Warren is proposing the redevelopment/adaptive re-use of 21,500 sq. ft. of an existing single-story industrial building, located at 7850 Second Street (08-08-05-230-007), for a 201-unit self-storage facility.
- The subject site is zoned I-1, Limited Industrial District and contains an existing single-story 46,926 sq. ft. industrial building, situated on 1.80 acres of land. The subject site is located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Second Street and Edison Street. Both are public roads, although Edison Street is an unimprovement public right-of-way.
- Capital Improvements Plan (CIP) FY 2021-2026 – Public hearing to consider updates to the CIP FY2021-2026. Discussion and possible action following the public hearing.
- The CIP is a program that projects and coordinates public expenditures to improve the City’s transportation and utility systems, facilities, and other capital assets over a six-year period. Preparation of the CIP is done under the authority of the Planning Enabling Act (PA 33 of 2008), as amended. It is the Planning Commission’s goal that the CIP be used as a tool to implement the City’s Master Plan and assist in preparing the upcoming fiscal year’s budget.
- The CIP was assessed by City staff, the Downtown Development Authority, and the Parks and Recreation Commission between December, 2020 and March, 2021. The Planning Commission reviewed a draft of CIP updates at the Commission’s March 1, 2021 regular meeting.
The Planning Commission will also discuss the following:
- UIS IFE Evaluation – Evaluation of the approved final site plan for the new UIS facility at 2290 Bishop Cr. E, for aesthetic and practical features, in accordance with Section 3 of the City of Dexter, PA 198 Industrial Facilities Exemption Tax Abatement Evaluation Criteria.
- Text Amendment Accessory Dwelling Units – Review and discuss draft amendment to the Zoning Ordinance to regulate Accessory Dwelling Units and schedule a public hearing for April 5, 2021. (should read May 3)
- The Planning Commission is scheduled to continue to review and discuss potential text amendments to the zoning ordinance regarding accessory dwelling units. Staff has formalized a set of regulations, based on the framework presented at the Commission’s March meeting and the feedback provided by the members present (new text is underline, text to be deleted is struck through).
- Zoning Ordinance Update from Sub-Committee – Review of 2nd Sub-Committee meeting
- The City of Dexter has begun an update of the City’s Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Control Ordinance, led by a sub-committee of elected and appointed City officials with support from City planning staff and consultants. The Zoning Ordinance is the local law regulating the location and size of buildings, what “uses” (e.g., residential, commercial, industrial) can happen where, sign location and size, and the landscaping, parking and environmental protections needed with new building and redevelopment. The Subdivision Control Ordinance mandates the design and layout of streets, landscaping, and property lines for future residential, commercial, and industrial subdivisions.
- Click here to learn more about changes to a form-based code
- Appoint PC rep to the Art Selection Committee
Join Zoom Meeting
888 788 0099 or 877 853 5247
Meeting ID: 679 370 9480#