NOTICE OF ADOPTION
ARTICLE 10 – SIGNS
At a regular meeting of the Lima Township Board of Trustees on July 9, 2018, an ordinance to amend the Zoning Ordinance for Lima Township, Article 10 Signs, to replace the entire article with revised and updated language was adopted:
Section 1. Replacement of Article 10.
Section 10.1.Intent and Purpose.
The intent of this Ordinance is to regulate the location, size, construction, and manner of display of signs and outdoor advertising in order to minimize their harmful effects on the public health, safety and welfare. While this Ordinance recognizes that signs and outdoor advertising are necessary to promote commerce and public information, failure to regulate them may lead to poor identification of individual businesses, deterioration and blight of the business and residential areas of the Township, conflicts between different types of land use, and reduction in traffic safety to pedestrians and motorists. To achieve its intended purpose, this Article has the following objectives:
- To prevent the placement of signs in a manner that will conceal or obscure signs or adjacent businesses;
- To keep the number of signs and sign messages at the level reasonably necessary to identify a business and its products,
- To keep signs within a reasonable scale with respect to the buildings they identify,
- To reduce visual distraction and obstructions to motorists traveling along, entering or leaving streets;
- To promote a quality manner of display that enhances the character of the Township;
- To prevent the proliferation of temporary signs which may promote visual blight.
The above amendment takes effect upon the expiration of seven days after publication.
A complete copy of this amendment is available at the Lima Township Office during regular business hours. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon.
Elaine Bater, Lima Township Clerk