FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Society of Mayflower Descendants in Michigan is proud to announce that Mr. Steven Clark Althoen of Dexter,Michigan has successfully completed the necessary documentation of his ancestry to qualify for membership in the Society of Mayflower Descendants. He was able to trace his heritage to passenger Mr. Richard Warren who arrived in the harbor near Plymouth, Massachusetts on the ship Mayflower in November, 1620.
Mr.Richard Warren was one of 41 adult male passengers on the Mayflower who signed the immortal Mayflower Compact on the 11th of November (Old Style) 1620. They had come to settle in a new land and to find a new home and government, for the benefit of themselves and their posterity. Their struggles and hardships, which in the first year after their landing carried off one-half of their number, necessitated years of continued bravery and fortitude against innumerable trials of the severest kind. Their acts and example of perseverance have been instrumental in the establishment of Civil and Religious Liberty throughout the land. Therefore, the General Society of Mayflower Descendants was formed by lineage descendants of that band of pilgrims:
- To preserve their memory, their records, their history, and all facts relating to them, their ancestors, and their posterity;
- To cherish and maintain the ideals and institutions of American freedom;
- To transmit the spirit, the purity of purpose, and steadfastness of the pilgrim fathers and mothers;
- To secure united effort to discover and publish original matter; and
- To authenticate, preserve and mark historical spots made memorable by Pilgrim association.
If you have information and/or documentation that leads you to believe you may be directly descended from a passenger on the Mayflower voyage of 1620 that terminated on the shores of New England at Plymouth, you may be eligible to join the Society. For further information on the Society of Mayflower Descendants, please visit our website at http://www.TheMayflowerSociety.com. or http://www.michmayflower.org.
The 400th Anniversary of the landing of the Pilgrims on the ship Mayflower, in the harbor near what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts, will be celebrated in the year 2020. Plans for the celebrations are well underway.