Manchester to Reopen Middle School
By: Seth Kinker, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Manchester Board of Education and District Administrative team have decided to re-open the middle school for the 2018-19 school year.
The decision, made on Tuesday, Jan. 16 and announced yesterday, will involve some small changes to the District.
After making the decision to repurpose the school last year, the Board said they would revisit that decision in one year to see how things were going.
“We’ve been looking at some of the data and listening to a lot of feedback over the year and we decided the best decision for the schools is to reopen that middle school,” said Chris Fegan, President of the Board of Education. “With that being said were leaving the 7th and 8th grades at the middle/high school that won’t be touched.”
One change will be the closing of the Ackerson building. They will move the pre-school to Klager Elementary. Another change will be the band program once again being housed at the middle school.
The middle school will be project-based learning encompassing grades 3-6.
“The kids are in some project-based learning programs now and they’re really excited about that,” said Fegan. “This is kind of keeping up with the growing trends in education and moving forward so we’re really excited about it.”
When the decision was made last year to close the middle school there was some worry about having younger students at the high school, but the transition team helped ease the change.
A leadership team will be in place to help with the newest transition and community input will be asked for as the process continues.
Despite an ongoing search for a new Superintendent, the decision to reopen the middle school was based on their prior decision to revisit the closing.
“We made that decision last year to consciously keep tabs on it, come back, and revisit the idea,” said Fegan. “ We’re really excited about it and hoping the community will embrace it as a positive as well.”